I suggest you ...

RMAN like incremental and differential backups

At present there is only one way of backing up a big databases in PG: full hot cluster backup with archived WAL sets. This method is insufficient in case of limited storage space and low time recovery. PG needs native incremental and differential block level backups for more scalability of database. There is some 3rd party efforts on that but definitely need native facility tools.

177 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a native RMAN like backup/recovery solution would be advantageous.
        Not only because "native sounds nicer"...
        Currently I am trying to get "third-party RMANs" (precise: pg_rman https://sourceforge.net/projects/pg-rman/ and and barman http://www.pgbarman.org) work with my self-compiled PostgreSQL 9.3.4 on SLES 11 SP3.

But neither or them works as expected for me:
        - pg_rman makes base backups but "forgets" that it made the backups ("pg_rman show" just shows nothing but in the backup directory the base backup exists. So it's useless for me because in this case I can't use pg_rman for recovery (if needed).

- barman claims to make WAL and base backups. But it doesn't. I just produces "emptiness". WAL backups have 0 Bytes in size and base backups are also non-existent.

So maybe a "native PostgreSQL RMAN" could keep up better with PostgreSQL development and maybe is better maintained than third party apps...

Feedback and Knowledge Base